Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Please Remember

I've been reading some articles lately about resolutions for the new year and although losing weight and being healthy is really important to me, I really loved some quotes I found.  The original article is HERE, but these are a few quotes that stood out to me:

"This year, instead of focusing on being less, let's focus on being more. Resolve to have more gratitude for everything your body does for you. Take up more space in the world. Speak up more about things that are important to you. Do more joyful movement. Eat more delicious food that nourishes you. This year, instead of trying to create a 'new you,' resolve to take the old you out for a spin. I think you'll find that she's pretty spectacular."

"What if I told you that the current you was actually pretty awesome and you didn't in fact need a you-replacement? I'm an anti-resolution enthusiast because my body is perfect just as it is ... Reframe the ideology that positions your body as the thing that is keeping you from fulfilling your greatest (and skinniest) destiny. Your body is many things, but I promise it's not your enemy. The size of your body will never be the most important or greatest thing about you."

"You don't need to lose weight to experience your best self. You just need to resolve yourself to living the life you imagine –- in exactly the skin you're already in. You'd be amazed at how that mental shift can be the best choice you've ever made in terms of health and happiness."

"I can also tell you your worth as a human is not dictated by your medical charts or ability to run marathons. You have inherent value — every human does. It's really that simple."

"New year. Same you. Still awesome."

So, I am obviously not an anti-resolutionist, but I appreciate the sentiment and those quotes are definitely some good things to remember.  You can be happy with and love yourself, while still always striving to be better.  Although I'm always working to better myself and be healthier and my best me, I make sure that I am only doing that for myself and not someone else.  If you're doing it for someone else, it's time to re-evaluate.  Some tips when making your resolutions:
-Write them down!!
-Review them at the beginning of each month and make sure you are staying on track
-Tell people about them.  You will feel more accountable.
-Make sure they are attainable.  If you have never gone to a gym before, a goal of going 6 days a week is not a good goal to have.

When you are making resolutions this year, be sure to remember that sometimes fat people are assholes.  Sometimes skinny people are assholes.  Make sure whether you want to lose weight or not, you  resolve to be a better person in 2016.  Don't be an asshole.  That should be everyone's resolution.

...and in case you were wondering, here are a few of mine...

-Remember to wear my fitbit
-Hit the gym 4-5 times a week
-Sign up for a 5k each month (I think my sister did this one year)
-Blog more! (It makes me happy)
-No more saying "should" (We SHOULD do this or that.  Just DO it!)
-Complain less
-Cell phone doesn't come out at a restaurant unless I need to call 911
-Drink more water (you can never drink enough)
-Stop stressing about things out of my control
-Print out pictures from 2016 and create an album (I'm tired of everything only being accessible by computer)
-Oh, yea and don't be asshole :)




No comments:

Post a Comment