Pages

Monday, October 5, 2015

Pro-Activity

Is that a word??  Probably not, but just go with me on this one.

Today I started a 24 day challenge.  I wasn't going to say anything until I could give you guys some results, but I just felt so good this morning that I decided I needed to write this.  I got on the scale this morning for the first time since I started taking fertility meds.  I knew I had gained weight, but it really didn't hit me until the weather got cooler.  I'm going to be pretty transparent with you guys here and share what happened.  I was feeling good early last week.  I had some energy, even though I had gotten some bad news and I decided that with the cooler weather approaching I should clean out my closet and dresser.  As I said, I knew I had gained weight, but there is truly nothing like trying on your pants from last winter and not being able to button them.  I stood in my closet while sobbing and throwing a very large majority of my clothes into garbage bags to donate (2 FULL BAGS, and I'm not done yet).  It was super depressing, but it aided in making the decision that we truly needed to take a break with all of this.

Now, I need to say this.  More for myself than for you.  I feel like some people may be reading this and thinking to themselves, "Geez, Kaitlyn is putting her weight ahead of treatments to have a baby?  How vain can she be?"  Let me just say, this is not the case.  It is so much more than that.  Yes, I worked hard to lose weight years ago and it is really discouraging to have the scale creeping back up.  But you must understand (and there probably isn't any way for you to understand unless you've been through it), it's not just about the number on the scale.  It's about feeling like yourself.  It's about feeling like your body is yours.  I have heard a lot of new mother's say things like, "I liked being pregnant, but I'm really happy to have my body back and for it to be mine again."  Imagine feeling that way, but without any of the rewards of your body "not being yours."  You have to be careful about what you are eating and drinking, how much caffeine you are taking in, high impact exercise at certain points in the month, making sure you are taking pills on the days you should be, and going in for shots on the days you should be, and having 3-4 sonograms a month (and not the belly kind with an adorable baby growing inside of you).

I got on the scale today to see the damage.  13 pounds since last winter.  I can handle that.  I'm only one 24 day challenge away from being back to last winters weight.  With the challenge, coming off of all the meds, and training for my second half marathon, I should have a pretty winning combination.  Now I have a goal...13lbs in 24 days.  Lofty?  Yes.  Doable?  Absolutely.  I have no doubt in my mind that it can be done.  I intend to keep you guys in the loop on my progress with everything.  

Sometimes a little pro-activity is all you need to feel better about yourself!  If you feel like you're struggling with your weight and self confidence, but you don't know what to do, message me about the challenge.  Being pro-active and having a plan can make a world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment