Pages

Thursday, January 16, 2014

What gym is right for me?!





I am writing this because it is something that I struggle with.  It may help absoultely no one, but I figured that while I was in the process of switching gyms and doing my own little research, I would post what I came up with here. 

Let me preface this post by saying hands down, best gym ever, no competition (for women) is women's wellness.  It's on the corner of Bluebonnet and Jefferson Hwy. and I must say it is amazeballs.  I loved everything about it.  Great classes and I was never intimidated there at all.  The only problem is there is one loacation and there is not 24 hour access.  I no longer live in Baton Rouge and I work off Highland right by the interstate.  There is no motivation in the world to get me to leave work at 5pm and head TOWARD baton rouge to go to the gym, only to sit in more traffic trying to get home.  Also, one drawback to this gym is the dreaded 1 YEAR CONTRACT.  I don't know what I am doing tomorrow, much less 6 months from now.  I don't like to sign year long contracts.  I'll do 3 months, MAYBE 6, but I'm not a fan of year long ones.

The gym that I am leaving is the SNAP fitness on hwy 44 (the gonzales east creek one).  It is an amazing gym and the price is great.  You can go month to month AND they have classes.  I am only leaving there because it is not particulary close to my house.  I actually have to pass my house up to go there after work and the traffic is awful.  There are some great 5:30 classes I would love to take, however, getting there at 5:30 just doesn't happen for me.  If you live closer to this gym I would highly recommend this one!  I will even post the class schedule for you because I am awesome.  I think pricing for this one is around 42 bucks a month.  24 hour access and tons of locations.  I belive you do have to be a member of this specific snap to enjoy their classes however.



So here are a few I am looking at:

Anytime Fitness Prairieville (on airline hwy, close to the pville wally world):
This gym has 24 hour access (hence the name "anytime") and what you would normally expect to see at any other gym.  There are also tanning beds here if you are into that.  Below is their class schedule:

MONDAY
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY
FRIDAY
SATURDAY

Spin / Abs / Butt

12:10 – 1:00 pm
(Leslie/Sherry)
SLOW MOTION  

 9:00 – 9:45 AM (Jennifer)

CIRCUIT CIRCUS         

9:00 – 10:00 AM (Ken)
H.I.I.T CONNECTION PLUS                  9:00 – 10:00 AM (Ken)
H.I.I.T CONNECTION 5:30 – 6:30 PM (Ken)

POWEROBIC CROSSFIT 5:30 – 6:30 PM (Ken)





The only thing that has been bugging me about these gyms (not just this one...all of them) is there are pretty much unwilling to give you any kind of pricing via email.  I haven't tried calling, but it would be much more convenient if they would just email me.  I totally understand that they want to get you in there, but sometimes it would just be easier if I just knew prices!  That being said, I did get some pricing out of them by phone. 
For a single membership:
2 year contract: 41.95
1 year contract: 49.95
1 time key fee:  29.95 (pretty sure I have one of these floating around somewhere)
1 time enrollment fee:  50.00


Foxy's fitness (on airline around the pville walmart area)
Their fitness class schedule came in pdf form, so I will just list the classes that I would be able to make (or anyone else who works):

Monday:
5:30 Fab Ab
5:45 Zumba
6:00 Cycle

Tuesday:
5:30 Body Pump

Wednesday:
Same schedule as Monday

Saturday:
9:00 Cycle

There are also plenty classes during the day, but you won't catch any before work because the first class starts at 9am.  There are 3 locations and the website makes it sound like you can go to classes at any location, but certainly do not quote me on that.  There is a karate group there.  You don't have to go to Foxy's to do this, but you do get a discount if you are a member.  There is also a "group training" deal here, but I would assume this cost extra.  So I called to get pricing here and they danced around it.  They wanted to set up an appointment for me to come in.  I also played 20 questions with them about where we were going to the gym and what we were looking to accomplish etc.  The best answer I got was, "Our memberships start at $25, does that fit your budget?"  Kind of frustrating, but I digress.

Fusion (or as my sister calls it, "Globogym")
I used to go to Fusion and it is actually very nice.  I really liked it there, but they are a little pricy.  I'm pretty signed a 1 year contract and I still was paying around $55.00 a month.  It's not 24 hours, but they have decent hours.  The only reason I like the 24 hour ones so much are because I can go on Sunday mornings.  Most places that arent open 24 hours are open from like 12-5 on Sunday and I never go between those times.  This gym is, however the closest gym to my house.  You can check out their class schedule HERE!  Also, a description of their classes HERE!  They have a kid zone that you can use at an additional charge.  This is great for people with kids.  They also have a spa.  I never tried it and, of course, you have to pay for the services.  There is a pool as well, and a steam room.  This one has a lot of things other gyms don't have, so that may be why the price is a little higher.  The only problem with that, is that if you dont use the spa, have kids, want to swim, or want to steam those things are kind of useless.

Anytime Fitness (Dutchtown)
I used to go to this anytime fitness and left because it was just too small.  I would have to wait to use a lot of the equipment if I went right after work and I just wasn't up for doing that.  I have heard since then they have expanded so this is definitely a viable option now!  My job gives a small dicount to people who go to anytime fitness so that is a bonus.  I would be looking around 45 bucks a month, but you would have to call to get your own pricing.  I could not get in touch with anyone to get a class schedule, but I do know they have spin Mon, Wed, and Sat.

Does anyone go to the Zoo?  How do you like it?  Any other gyms that are just fabulous or really awful? 


In the end, you need to pick a gym that is right for you.  I find that it does not matter how badass the gym is, if it's not easy to get there, you are not going to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment