Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

We need to talk...

Today is day 1 of my 24 day challenge and I decided to change things up a bit.  I decided to count weight watchers points while doing the challenge.  They say just to eat all your meals and snacks and not to count calories or anything when doing the challenge, but I was feeling a little skeptical and decided I wanted to try to count points and see how close I was coming.  The discovery was a little shocking.  I planned out what I was eating today and added up all the points to see how close I was coming.  I figured I would be going over a little, but it turns out that when doing the challenge I AM NOT EATING ENOUGH.  I thought my last one didn't go as well because I was eating too much, but that simply was not the case.  Here's the deal.

I get 28 weight watcher points per day.  I also get 49 weekly points.  Usually, I would eat my 28 points a day and save the 49 to eat out on the weekends with.  Since I won't be having any splurges on the weekends during the challenge I decided just to divide the extra points by 7.  That gives me 35 points everyday.  Ok, now that we are done with math...

This was my meal plan today:
Breakfast:  4 boiled egg whites-1 point
Morning snack:  Advocare chocolate snack bar (Had my first one just now and holy crap that is DELICIOUS)-3 points
Lunch: 3/4 cup quinoa, 1/4 cup black beans, 1/2 a tomato, 1/2 and avocado, juice of 1 lime-9 points
Afternoon snack:  Grapes and a spark-1 point
Dinner: 4 ounces grilled chicken, 1 cup mashed cauliflower, large salad with homemade dressing (1 Tbls olive oil, 1 Tbls lemon juice, 1 clove minced garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano)-8 points
After dinner snack (which is optional):  Apple or strawberries-0 points

TOTAL POINTS:  22

Yep, that's A LOT of food for me yall and that is 22 points.  I am 13 points short of what I am supposed to be eating today.  Keep in mind this isn't even taking into account any activity points.  I'm trying to stay away from carbs for dinner at least for the first ten days.  That means that points are going to be low here and I need to be eating a larger breakfast and lunch.  Someone once told me eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch, and pauper for dinner.  This is my problem.  Since I was a kid, it was totally the other way around.  Skip breakfast sometimes, maybe something small.  Medium to small lunch.  PIG OUT FOR DINNER!  Here is what I can do to work on this:

Advocare meal replacement for breakfast:  5 points
Unsalted nuts for snacks: ~5 points
Add in a complex carb at lunch like a sweet potato: ~3-5 points
Possibly add in a pre/post workout snack

I know that if you are not a weight watchers person, this may be a little confusing for you, but you can do the same for counting calories.  Eating clean does NOT mean starving yourself.  In fact, eating clean means that you need to be eating pretty much all of the time.  If you decide to eat clean/do an advocare challenge make sure you are eating enough.  Food is fuel for your body and you don't want to run out of gas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment